- Utility models continued their upswing with an amazing 77% increase in April 2020 compared to April 2019; with approximately 200,000 utility model filing in April 2020 compared to about 113,000 in April 2019.
- Cumulative numbers show Chinese utility model filings in 2020 now exceed 2019’s filings with approximately 764,000 compared to 616,000 last year at this time.
- Approximately 185,000 design patents were filed cumulatively from January to April 2020.
- Approximately 18,500 PCT international applications were filed cumulatively from January to April 2020.
- Roughly 2.471 million trademark applications were also filed from January to April 2020.
Is this increased filing trend from China any indication of a global increase in the number of foreign filings? It seems only time will tell.